Today, my guest is Ryann Peyton. Ryan serves as the Director of the Colorado Attorney Mentoring Program (CAMP), as well as Legal Entrepreneurs for Justice in the great state of Colorado. She is a former litigator (as she’d like to say, a reformed attorney) and she now lends her skills as an advocate for professionalism, diversity, and equity in the legal field, particularly through her role as the director of these two programs. We talk about a wide range of subjects, including the partnerships that they’re developing with these programs in the commercial world outside of the association. She’s delightful, and I hope you enjoy our conversation as much as I did.
In this episode, Neil and Ryann discuss:
- Finding your passion (and having permission to change your mind).
- What Bar Associations can do to bolster and sustain the next generation of lawyers.
- How CAMP helps its constituents.
- Being part of programs to build mentorship and networking to make a difference.
- If law firms and bar associations don’t recognize the changes in technology, they will not be able to sustain the profession and those practicing in it.
- At any stage of your career, it is important to have a mentor that can help support you with where you are and where you want to go.
- All the skills in the world will not overcome bad behavior. Who you are and your reputation mean everything.
- Well-being is a core component of professionalism.
“The law has to shift; the profession has to shift. It has to meet the needs of modern clients; it has to meet the needs of modern lawyers.” — J. Ryann Peyton
Get in touch with J. Ryann Peyton:
Thank you to our sponsors!
- Ruby Receptionist – Virtual receptionist & live call services that will help you grow your office (and save money), one call at a time – to learn more, go to callruby.com/lawentrepreneur or call 844.895.7829
- Coach Rockwell – Mark Rockwell works with lawyers who are frustrated by their inability to scale up and become more profitable. He helps them create their vision, and implement an operating platform that builds healthy, thriving law firms. Reach out to him at firstname.lastname@example.org or 503.784.7205
- The Net Profit CFO – Ryan Kimler works with attorneys who want to enjoy higher net profits without working longer or harder. With just 9 Simple Numbers, Ryan will help you drive more profit to your bottom line-and he won’t confuse you with all the details! Connect with Ryan at www.netprofitcfo.com.
Get in touch with Neil:
If you’ve enjoyed the podcast, please head to Apple Podcasts and leave a rating & review for the show! It only takes a moment, and really helps me to reach new listeners. You can also head to the website at TheLawEntrepreneur.com for more information on the podcast and my legal services.
Show notes by Podcastologist Chelsea Taylor-Sturkie
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it.