Today, my guest is Dan Russell. Dan is a marketing expert who owns his own marketing firm and did a lot of workshops to help convey strategies and principles regarding marketing. What I really liked about his approach is that it’s based on neuroscience; he did the hard work of diving into the science behind why things work from a marketing perspective, and then took those findings, scientific findings, and created the principles and approaches to marketing that capitalized on those findings. So you’re going to hear him talk about that. He’s reduced that all down into a new book, Snake Oil, which walks you through the history and the current affairs of the marketing world and provides a lot of lessons that will help you break some of the notions that we have regarding marketing and how that can cause us to either reacting appropriately or not react. It’s really an interesting conversation, to help us approach marketing from a new perspective. So I’m very happy to share with you this conversation with Dan Russell.
In this episode, Neil and Dan discuss:
- Why you should know the neuroscience of marketing.
- Overcoming the distrust of marketers and the distrust of attorneys.
- Deciding what to test in your marketing.
- Finding your big ideas in the stories that you tell.
- If you know how to communicate the right message to the right people, you don’t need to do any fancy tactics.
- Marketing is both an art and a science.
- Your big idea is the nucleus of your marketing atom. All things should circle around that item and drive back to that big idea.
- You need to have a good message around which your campaigns are built around. You first need to get the attention before you can convert the sale.
“Don’t worry about the sales, because most people here probably have more of a lead generation problem than a sales problem. Just talking about leads, focus on the bare minimum number of steps that need to happen to generate a lead, then measure the conversions at each step along that process.” — Dan Russell
Get in touch with Dan Russell:
Thank you to our sponsors!
- Ruby Receptionist – Virtual receptionist & live call services that will help you grow your office (and save money), one call at a time – to learn more, go to http://ruby.com/ or call 844.311.7829
- The Net Profit CFO – Ryan Kimler works with attorneys who want to enjoy higher net profits without working longer or harder. With just 9 Simple Numbers, Ryan will help you drive more profit to your bottom line-and he won’t confuse you with all the details! Connect with Ryan at www.netprofitcfo.com.
Get in touch with Neil:
If you’ve enjoyed the podcast, please head to Apple Podcasts and leave a rating & review for the show! It only takes a moment, and really helps me to reach new listeners. You can also head to the website at TheLawEntrepreneur.com for more information on the podcast and my legal services.
Show notes by Podcastologist Chelsea Taylor-Sturkie
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it.