Joshua Lastine is an entertainment lawyer in Beverly Hills, CA. His story is a little bit of iconic Hollywood story, although it’s a little different – young man leaves the central plains of the Midwest, heads to California to make his fame and fortune, goes law school at Pepperdine, and does just that by becoming an entertainment attorney handling all manners of the business of the entertainment industry. I think, oftentimes, we think of entertainment law as being solely centered on an agency representing the talent that performs. But as you’ll hear from Joshua, it’s much, much more than that with many more opportunities. I had a great time chatting with Joshua, and I hope you enjoy that conversation.
In this episode, Neil and Joshua discuss:
- What entertainment law is and how it intersects with Hollywood.
- Understanding the business of entertainment and the business of law.
- The contracts that go into making content.
- The influence of collective bargaining and unions in the entertainment industry.
- Entertainment is about making a product and starts with an initial good idea that needs to be bought, sold, developed, and everything in between, just like anything else.
- Building your firm is all about who you know, networking, and building relationships.
- To hire in the current market, you need to have interest aligned between where you and your firm are going and where the possible incoming attorney wants to go.
- As an entertainment lawyer, you are a vocal advocate for doing what is right, making sure that everyone is kind of paid, and everyone gets what they deserve.
“Right now it’s such a hot job market that you really have to have your interests completely aligned, in terms of where you want your business and company to go and where your employee sees themselves where they want to go because they have opportunities pretty much everywhere.” — Joshua Lastine
Get in touch with Joshua Lastine:
Thank you to our sponsors!
- Ruby Receptionist – Virtual receptionist & live call services that will help you grow your office (and save money), one call at a time – to learn more, go to www.ruby.com or call 844.311.7829
- The Net Profit CFO – Ryan Kimler works with attorneys who want to enjoy higher net profits without working longer or harder. With just 9 Simple Numbers, Ryan will help you drive more profit to your bottom line-and he won’t confuse you with all the details! Connect with Ryan at www.netprofitcfo.com.
Get in touch with Neil:
If you’ve enjoyed the podcast, please head to Apple Podcasts and leave a rating & review for the show! It only takes a moment, and really helps me to reach new listeners. You can also head to the website at TheLawEntrepreneur.com for more information on the podcast and my legal services.
Show notes by Podcastologist Chelsea Taylor-Sturkie
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it.