Today my guest is Katherine Porter. She is a litigation attorney out of Southern California who developed, originally as a side gig, a project management consulting firm that has become more and more of her primary role. We have a really interesting discussion about how project management can be used to understand the workflows, resource allocation, and recognize the bottlenecks in your firm to, ultimately, improve your ability to deliver legal services to your clients. It’s a great discussion for law entrepreneurs of any size. Take a listen!
In this episode, Neil and Katherine discuss:
- The science and discipline of project management.
- Workflow process and customer journeys for law firm consistency.
- Gaining a visual reference for who is doing the work, for both simple and complex items.
- Technology for project management.
- Budgets are a key aspect of project management that is becoming more and more important to law firms and to their clients.
- There is value in creating a workflow chart for all aspects of your law firm, regardless of size.
- Start with the workflow and other analysis necessary before you create the procedure and process. Doing this will give you a more complete picture of what those procedures need to be from the creation of them.
- Taking the time to map out the workflow and understand your procedures can be a game-changer for any lawyer. It will also help with better understanding your law firm as a business.
“The better you have things mapped out directly, the better your budget is going to be, which is always really important for any size firm to be able to predict what resources they’re going to need and also how much the client is going to end up paying for the service.” — Katherine Porter
Get in touch with Katherine Porter:
Thank you to our sponsors!
- Ruby Receptionist – Virtual receptionist & live call services that will help you grow your office (and save money), one call at a time – to learn more, go to https://get.ruby.com/TLE or call 844.311.7829
- The Net Profit CFO – Ryan Kimler works with attorneys who want to enjoy higher net profits without working longer or harder. With just 9 Simple Numbers, Ryan will help you drive more profit to your bottom line – and he won’t confuse you with all the details! Connect with Ryan at www.netprofitcfo.com.
Get in touch with Neil:
If you’ve enjoyed the podcast, please head to Apple Podcasts and leave a rating & review for the show! It only takes a moment, and really helps me to reach new listeners. You can also head to the website at TheLawEntrepreneur.com for more information on the podcast and my legal services.
Show notes by Podcastologist Chelsea Taylor-Sturkie
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it.