Today my guest is Wendy Meadows. And Wendy is, as I like to call her, a reformed family law litigator. That is to say, she practiced family law for quite some time at a medium sized law firm before going out on her own, and then decided that litigation was something that she needed to move away from. She’s still doing family law, but focusing on the non-litigation aspects such as mediation, and helping develop parenting plans, and the like. At the same time, she’s also a wellness and life coach, helping to move them from difficult positions that they’ve arrived at as a result of life circumstances and the legal practice, and helps get them unstuck and moving forward. We talk about how those two things, life coaching and wellness coaching and her family law practice, are integrated together and starting to see some synergy between the two. Join us for a really fascinating discussion, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
In this episode, Neil and Wendy discuss:
- The language you use with your client can change the resolution.
- Building a solo firm.
- Managing expectations from both the lawyer and the support staff.
- Time management tools for success.
- Nobody knows what kind of work you are looking for if you never talk about it.
- Be willing to take a chance on your dreams and where your heart lies. It will often tie in with your firm even if it doesn’t seem to at first.
- If you don’t take care of yourself, how can you take care of others? Self-care looks different for everyone (and is more than just bubble baths).
- With time management, look at where you are struggling and look to see where others can help take tasks off of your plate to free up more of your time.
“The best work I can do in a case is really listening to my client and seeing them have their own transformation through the divorce process. So they actually come out of the divorce process, stronger, better healed, more powerful, and have a positive outlook on life.” — Wendy Meadows
Get in touch with Wendy Meadows
Thank you to our sponsors!
- Ruby Receptionist – Virtual receptionist & live call services that will help you grow your office (and save money), one call at a time – to learn more, go to callruby.com/lawentrepreneur or call 844.895.7829
- Coach Rockwell – Mark Rockwell works with lawyers who are frustrated by their inability to scale up and become more profitable. He helps them create their vision, and implement an operating platform that builds healthy, thriving law firms. Reach out to him at firstname.lastname@example.org or 503.784.7205
Get in touch with Neil:
If you’ve enjoyed the podcast, please head to Apple Podcasts and leave a rating & review for the show! It only takes a moment, and really helps me to reach new listeners. You can also head to the website at TheLawEntrepreneur.com for more information on the podcast and my legal services.
Show notes by Podcastologist Chelsea Taylor-Sturkie
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it.