Today, my guest is Miriam Airington-Fisher. And Miriam is a law firm owner in the Richmond, Virginia area, who quite humbling to me, has been a longtime listener of The Law Entrepreneur and credits the program for helping her shape her practice as she was starting out as a solo practitioner in the criminal defense world, while trying to raise initially one and now three children at the same time. We talk about that journey, how convoluted and complex that journey can be for working moms, and how, through that discovery, she came to author a book called Mom’s a Lawyer: Start a Firm and Take Control of Your Life, which then also gave rise to a course called Law Firm Launch. You’re going to hear that whole span of development and growth from Miriam and it’s just quite literally fascinating to me. I hope you enjoy it!
In this episode, Neil and Miriam discuss:
- Balancing parenthood and running a law firm.
- Building a firm to fit your lifestyle, regardless of practice area.
- Increasing your fees and providing excellent customer service.
- Strategic hires to grow your firm.
- You aren’t going to know everything you need to know when you first build your practice and begin running it as a business.
- You do not need to build your firm like everyone else’s. You can create systems and designate roles in a way that works for you and your team.
- You can set reasonable boundaries and expectations while still being a diligent attorney.
- The number one reason women (up to ⅓) leave a legal career at the height of their career is because of family and home pressures.
“I want to have a successful practice that serves as many people as we can. I want to have an office culture that is healthy, and that supports our team members excelling professionally, but also having a work-life balance.” — Miriam Airington-Fisher
Find out more about Get Staffed Up and how they can help your firm here: https://getstaffedup.com/tle
Scribe Media: https://scribemedia.com/
Get in touch with Miriam Airington-Fisher:
Learn more about Law Firm Lunch here: https://www.momsalawyer.com/courses
Thank you to our sponsors!
- Ruby Receptionist – Virtual receptionist & live call services that will help you grow your office (and save money), one call at a time – to learn more, go to http://ruby.com/ or call 844.311.7829
- The Net Profit CFO – Ryan Kimler works with attorneys who want to enjoy higher net profits without working longer or harder. With just 9 Simple Numbers, Ryan will help you drive more profit to your bottom line-and he won’t confuse you with all the details! Connect with Ryan at www.netprofitcfo.com.
Get in touch with Neil:
If you’ve enjoyed the podcast, please head to Apple Podcasts and leave a rating & review for the show! It only takes a moment, and really helps me to reach new listeners. You can also head to the website at TheLawEntrepreneur.com for more information on the podcast and my legal services.
Show notes by Podcastologist Chelsea Taylor-Sturkie
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it.