364. Leaving a Legacy through PR with Susan Harrow
Today, my guest is Susan Harrow. Susan is a public relations (PR) expert, who has been in the business for quite some time and was affectionately known as the go-to girl for Oprah. She has a very popular website with a lot of information on it at prsecrets.com. I wanted to have Susan on to talk about just how to think about a law firm, in terms of public relations, with the very media outlets that are in existence today, including social media, and how to align your message with what the media is looking for, and how you can use that to leverage your connections and your message to getting new clients and building your business.
In this episode, Neil and Susan discuss:
- Standing out above the noise.
- Creating a messaging strategy before you contact the media.
- How media training is like prepping a witness or a client for trial.
- Creating the foundation for what your message is, then honing it for the audience you are targeting.
- The pros and cons of PR on social media.
- Every form of PR, social media, print, podcast, television, etc., is different and requires a different set of skills that need to be practiced.
- Repetition is the mold, perfection is the goal, but there is always something to be improved upon with each iteration and practice.
- Natural speaking as you explain what you do is often where you realize what your core message is.
- Think about the topics or causes that you can speak or write on that are relevant culturally, even if it doesn’t directly draw on your practice area.
“PR builds your reputation, your thought leadership, your brand, and your visibility, sometimes instantly and sometimes over time, but I’m really focused on not your 15-seconds of fame, but leaving a legacy and giving something meaningful to the world.” — Susan Harrow
Get in touch with Susan Harrow:
Create Your Signature Story: https://prsecrets.com/sigpod
Thank you to our sponsors!
- Ruby Receptionist – Virtual receptionist & live call services that will help you grow your office (and save money), one call at a time – to learn more, go to https://get.ruby.com/TLE or call 844.311.7829
- The Net Profit CFO – Ryan Kimler works with attorneys who want to enjoy higher net profits without working longer or harder. With just 9 Simple Numbers, Ryan will help you drive more profit to your bottom line-and he won’t confuse you with all the details! Connect with Ryan at www.netprofitcfo.com.
Get in touch with Neil:
If you’ve enjoyed the podcast, please head to Apple Podcasts and leave a rating & review for the show! It only takes a moment, and really helps me to reach new listeners. You can also head to the website at TheLawEntrepreneur.com for more information on the podcast and my legal services.
Show notes by Podcastologist Chelsea Taylor-Sturkie
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it.