Today, my guest is John Mahoney. John is the founder of The Law Offices of John Mahoney, and they focus exclusively on federal employment law, which is a subject area near and dear to my heart being from the Washington, DC area – although, as John quite clearly points out, federal employment laws pertain not only all over the country, but indeed internationally with federal employees being stationed all around the world. It’s a fascinating discussion with him about his virtual practice in the federal employment law space and how he was influenced by his father’s experience in the industrial area of Worcester, MA. It’s an interesting conversation that he and I have, a little bit more in the substantive area of the law than we normally do on this program, but I hope you enjoy listening to John and learning a little bit about how he built a virtual practice in the federal employment law space.
In this episode, Neil and John discuss:
- How John first got interested and involved in employment law.
- The history of the labor movement, and why labor laws are so important and were created in the first place.
- Running a virtual law practice with remote employees.
- Virtual growth practice, law, and sustainability.
- Federal law is not limited geographically – there are federal employees all around the globe. By building a virtual practice, you can attract attorneys from wherever the government is.
- Many people today take for granted the work that was done by early labor lawyers, unions, and others in the labor movement. Many of the benefits we experience today are because of these individuals.
- There are ways to build culture and comradery with your team in a virtual environment. Starting with the right people can help.
- Understanding what your capacity is for yourself and each of your attorneys can help you to have a better understanding of when you need to hire.
“These whistleblower retaliation or complaint or grievance retaliation are considered prohibited personnel practices, federal employees cannot be terminated for any of those reasons. And that has stood from 1889 to 2023.” — John Mahoney
Get in touch with John Mahoney:
Thank you to our sponsors!
- Ruby Receptionist – Virtual receptionist & live call services that will help you grow your office (and save money), one call at a time – to learn more, go to https://get.ruby.com/TLE or call 844.311.7829
- The Net Profit CFO – Ryan Kimler works with attorneys who want to enjoy higher net profits without working longer or harder. With just 9 Simple Numbers, Ryan will help you drive more profit to your bottom line-and he won’t confuse you with all the details! Connect with Ryan at www.netprofitcfo.com.
Get in touch with Neil:
If you’ve enjoyed the podcast, please head to Apple Podcasts and leave a rating & review for the show! It only takes a moment, and really helps me to reach new listeners. You can also head to the website at TheLawEntrepreneur.com for more information on the podcast and my legal services.
Show notes by Podcastologist Chelsea Taylor-Sturkie
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it.